Monday, March 14, 2011

Amy - Jilong, Taiwan March 14, 2011

Qinai de jiating,
This week has been amazing!!! I am safe and well. Sister Howell and I were out tracking on Zhong he lu when we saw we had 5 missed calls from members. They were telling us about the earthquake and tsumnami and that we needed to get to higher ground. Zhong he lu is at the top of a huge hill so we were ok. Our members are so amazing. I feel like they are my second family. The constantly pray for the missionaries and worry about us. The mission nurse called us and said that we needed to get to higher ground and stay away from the harbor. So the rest of the night was spent on Zhong he lu. There wasn't any damage to the harbor or really anywhere around where I am so we are really blessed. Members have been telling us all week about the earthquake in Japan and the damage caused. All of us are praying for the dear members and people of Japan. That makes me worried now knowing that it was based in Sendai. I hope that everyone there is safe.
On Thursday we at a special meeting with Elder Perkins of the Seventy. It was one of the most spiritual experiences of my mission! I learned so much from him and his wife. We talked a lot about the Spirit and how that is the most important thing we can have as missionaries. He quoted Elder Bednar who asked that the word meeting be replaced with "revelatory experience" He said that all of our meetings can be revelator experiences if we go with a question and are humble. It has made me re-think a lot about the many meetings we go to. Elder Perkins also talked about the Atonement. It was incredible. I learned so much about the Atonement that I didn't think of. I wish I could tell you everything that we talked about but it would take forever and I don't have time. Sister Perkins talked about gratitude and how we should jump out of bed every morning and thank our Heavenly Father for one more day in Taiwan sharing the Gospel.
My birthday was so wonderful!! Thank you all for your birthday wishes and for the package. I love the skirt and the purfume. We had a bunch of great lessons with our investigators. One in particular Feng jiemei is really progressing. Since the first time we met with her she has made so many changes. She is a former investigator that has had a lot of problems in her life. We invited her to live the Word of Wisdom which means she needs to give up smoking. She says so smokes a pack a day. We invited her this week to only smoke half a back. She was so willing to quit. I know that the Gospel changes lives because I have seen it change her life so much. Also GREEN GOT BAPTIZED!!!!!!!! It was a great baptismal service. And to top it all of ice cream on the cake his wife Joy came!! When Sister Howell called her to see if she was coming she said there was no way she could come. But she came!!! She did miss him getting baptized but got to hear him bear his testimony. His testimony was so powerful. He was just beaming as he shared his testimony and when he saw that his wife was there. I know that soon she will get baptized too! I am so excited!! He is such an amazing member of the church. I know that he will be a great example for his family and that soon they will all be members and can enjoy the blessings of the Gospel.
I hope that you all have a great week. I know that now the world is in a lot of chaos. Many people are suffering and need the Gospel in their lives. I know that the Gospel can change lives. I love a quote from President Benson in the first chapter of Preach My Gospel. He says that only the Gospel can heal nations and families. Only the Gospel will save the world from its path of self destruction. Thats the basic jyst of it. I know that that is true. I know that as we trust in our Heavenly Father and do the small and simple things, daily individual and family scripture study and prayer, and going to church that we can will be blessed. Heavenly Father will pour his blessings upon us and protect us. He does keep his promises. I love you all so much.
All my love,
Yang Jiemei

No comments:

Post a Comment