Monday, October 18, 2010

Amy Xinzhu, Taiwan October 18, 2010

Da jia hao!!!
   How are you all doing? This week has been long but awesome. I have NEVER riddin a bike so much in my whole life!!!! After I wrote my e-mail last Monday that evening we went to visit the Mao family for FHE. My companion failed to mention that they lived at the top of a HUGE hill! As I was biking up I thought my legs would bust and my lungs would explode. At one point Sister Zhang was so far ahead of me I could bearly see her except for her blinking light on the back of her bike. On our bikes we have a small flashlight on the front, a big red light on the back and a light on my helmet that blinks. So don't worry mom we are safe. The road too for the most part have lights so its fine. So anyways, I was dying going up this hill. I had to stop a few times and drink water and say a prayer. The whole way up I was praying so hard that Heavenly Father would give me the strength to make it up and he did. We finally made it up to the top and to their house. I'm sure I was a sight. It was the first time I had really met them and my hair was all messy and I had rings of sweat on my back and front of my shirt. It was DISGUSTING!!!!  They are an amazing family. So much faith. The daughter Madasy is amazing as so sweet. Mao Jiemei have a great lesson on the temple. The Spirit was so strong during the lesson and I could understand a lot of what she was saying. After that we played a few rounds of UNO. It was so much fun to play a game that I know. It was so great to get to know this great family and also two Elders in our district Elder Gania and Elder Roper. The ride home was all down hill which was such a blessing. My legs were killing me. Needless to say I slept really really well that night.
          So to answer a few of your questions. My area is awesome!!! Xinzhu is a pretty good sized city. A want to say about 200 million people live here. Our aparment complex is in the middle of a private neighborhood. It is a huge neighborhood with a lot of people including a few foreigners. Every morning we go running in the neighborhood and say hello to everyone. People are very friendly here. Our apartment is really nice. We have AC, a small kitchen and bathroom. We also have a washer and dryer! Its really nice. The water here is fine. We have a purifying system built into our sink so we just push a button and we can get pure water. The weather right now is sunny, hot and humid. It is also REALLY REALLY windy. Worst than Rexburg. It has been really fun riding our bikes in the wind. Sometimes I can only move a few feet when it is really bad and my bike shakes. At least I know I am getting a really good resistance excercise out of it. :) It hasn't rained here yet so I don't have a raincoat but we found out today that there might be a taiphoon so we have to stock up on food. If it does come than we will stay inside and study. Dont' worry we will be fine.
       Things with my companion are going great! She is a lot of fun. Her English is really good so we switch back and forth between Chinese and English which is really nice for me. She is very nice and really helps me with my Chinese. Its funny because sometimes when she talks on the phone I will be on the other room of our apartment and all of the sudden i will hear this loud yelling "BU KEYI! BU KEYI!!! ( you can't you can't) or other things. Its really funny. She is just talking to some of the other Elders in our district who like to make fun of her a lot. She is really funny and we have a lot of fun together while we work. The wards here are awesome! Sister Zhang and I cover 3 wards. Each ward has about 30 or so members in it. A lot of them have only been members for a year or more. They are amazing. They have so much faith and have strong testimonies of the Gospel. In two of the wards they had me stand up and introduce myself and bear my testimony. It was a little scary but fine. When I told the ward I had been in Taiwan for 10 days. I had many people come up to me and tell me my Chinese was great for only being in the country for 10 days. That was really encouraging. I can understand the gist of what people are saying but not everything. I love the wards we are in and I am excitied to get to know them more and serve with them.
         One quick story, so we are meeting with a family who has two little girls one is 10 and the other is 6. They are absolutely adorable and remind me so much of the girls. This was the first time we had met with them so we taught them about the Restoration. As we talked you could feel the Spirit so strongly. The oldest daughter asked some amazing questions like when we were talking about prophets and about how anciently there were many prophets she asked, "So who is our prophet now?" It is so amazing the faith of children. We also invited them to baptism and they accepted!! They will be baptized on November 20. When we were explaining about what baptism is and why we need it the little 6 year old kept saying over and over "i want to get baptized! I want to get baptized!" We had to explain to her many times that she is not old enough and right now doesn't need baptism. She wouldn't have it though. It was adorable!! Seeing them and all of the other kids in the ward makes me miss Alaina and Abby so much.
 
Well that was our week in a nutshell. So much happened that I think I got it all. We have 3 people with baptism dates. All of them are amazing. I love the people here in Xinzhu. There are so many people we have met who are ready to accept the baptism. Missionary work is amazing!!! I know this Gospel is true. I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve. I love you all!!
 
 
All my love,
Yang Jiemei
Sister Amy Papritz
 
P.S As far as a letter or card i did get one from President Grimley. It was in a green envelope. I don't know if thats the one you are talking about. Thank you for sending that. It was exactly what I needed to read.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment