Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Austin - His first week in Wisconsin - July 12, 2010

Oh my gosh, I've never heard so much Spanish in my life than in the last week. It was making my mind explode the first couple days but I always listen hard and try to pick up on words and I can honestly tell that I'm getting so much better at understanding Spanish. I'm in Madison right now, the capital of Wisconsin. My trainer is Elder Brooke Kelly from Orem, Utah. He has been out for 14 months and I'm his second child. We have five investigators with baptismal dates and 3 other progressing investigators. The branch here is tiiiiny, there are only usually 18-25 adults and a bunch of kids. The branch President (President Terry) is awesome. He served in Peru, I think, on his mission. He conducts the meeting then runs of to the piano and plays the piano for the meeting, he's a really hard worker. And he's really smart, he is a Professor of physics at the University here. He was glad to hear that I played the piano at the word council we had after church. Home teaching is almost non-existant in the branch. Yikes, there is a lot of work to do here. It is frustrating too because our area is ginormous and we only get a car every other week. Unfortunately I had to start with a non-bus week, some days we would spend 4 hours on the bus, it was so frustrating to not be able to do much effective work but I'd find people to talk to on the busses.

One of our investigators, Cecilia, has a daughter named Ana which reminds me so much of Alaina. Uuugh, I love our lessons with them. Ana is 6 years old and is so funny, she makes fun of my Spanish and she is really smart and darling just like Alaina! Also, I was so happy to find out that futbol is pretty big over here. There are soccer fields all over the place and people always playing. Elder Kelly and I are the only Spanish Elders in all of Madison. It really is a lot of work but with like no work. It's odd to describe. It seems like a lot of people are totally receptive to religious conversation but they just don't get it. They can't really understand the apostasia or a restoration. It's hard for us to try to weed out who really wants to meet with us because everyone will just give us their number and address. It's also a whole other deal to try to find a time that works because everyone here words every day. It's incredible. Even some of the members work on Sundays, they just love working.

Just on Sunday while we were walking to one of our appointments (which, by the way, they dogged us on the appointment ....in the rain) we were walking and we saw this Hispanic man in a tree with a chainsaw and then we noticed a rope tied to a branch connected to the front of a pickup truck. And like 10 hispanic people just standing around watching. It was so funny, we seriously thought that when he cut it was just going to fall on the house. It was quite impressive, the tree started to fall and the truck just gunned it backwards and it yanked the tree just a few inches away from the gutters of the house. We got a good laugh out of that.

I'm doing really well, I'm excited for this week since we have the car, we can do so much more work and have a lot more teaching appointments.Oh, but tomorrow my companion needs to go on an exchange to translate for a baptismal interview and I'll have an English speaking companion for the whole day...which means I'm not going to have any help during lessons. Ahhhhhhhh! I seriously don't know how I'm going to do it but I'll just have to man up.

By the way, my new address is:

2206 High Ridge Trail #303

Fitchburg, Wisconsin 53713

Thanks for the package when I got here, that was awesome. I love extra shorts and the shirts are peeerfect.

Ya'll take care now,

Elder Papritz

No comments:

Post a Comment